Sunday, December 27, 2020

The Who - The Who Sell Out Some More (1968)

On a recent visit to one of my favourite blogs - albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.co.uk - where unreleased albums are lovingly reconstructed from various sources to give us an idea of what was shelved by the bands and record companies if they didn't think they were up to scratch, there was a reconstruction was of The Who's aborted 1968 release 'Who's For Tennis', which was eventually replaced by the 'Direct Hits' album in the UK and the 'Magic Bus - The Who On Tour' album in the US. In the copious notes there were a few song titles mentioned that I had never heard of - and I thought I had almost everything the band had released - but some of these didn't make it onto the album. Oh well, I thought, c'est la vie. At least I have the 'Who's For Tennis' album to listen to.
A couple of weeks later I stumbled across a blog that I hadn't found before, and tucked away at the back was a post which had the raw tapes that the '...Tennis' album had been constructed from, and in there were all the other tracks that were mentioned in those notes. In a matter of minutes (alright, a couple of hours) I had gathered together all the missing songs into a companion-piece to the '... Tennis' album, designed a cover and given it a punning title (as they were mostly out-takes from the 'Sell Out' album).




Track listing

01 Doctor, Doctor (mono)
02 Summertime Blues
03 Jaguar
04 Under My Thumb (mono)
05 Politician
06 Someone's Coming
07 Signal 30 (Sodding About)
08 Goin' Fishin'
09 The Last Time
10 Glittering Girl
11 In The Hall Of The Mountain King
12 That Motherland Feeling / Rael


I left a couple of tracks in there that were already available, but these might be mono versions or different takes, but mostly these are songs that I'd heard rumours about but had always assumed had been wiped, and these include a studio version of the live favourite 'Summertime Blues', covers of 'Under My Thumb' and 'The Last Time', the original 'Rael' suite, and many more. I think it holds together really well as an album in its own right, with only the final track sounding out of place due to the slightly poorer sound quality. I hope that there's something here that even the most fervent Who fan might not have heard before.

If you want to check out the 'Who's For Tennis' album then it's here, http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/the-who-whos-for-tennis.html
and take the time to read the notes as they are always fascinating stuff. 



7 comments:

  1. Where was this blog you 'hadn't found before' that had the 'Tennis' tapes? Always game for another alternate/recovered/resurrected album blog (i.e. your 2LP reconstruction of Abacab has become my preferred version LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could remember, but I've searched everywhere and just can't find it. I don't think it was your standard blog or I'd have bookmarked it to visit later, so it must have been a one-off post. The only one I can find which looks like it, but doesn't mention that 'Doctor Doctor' and 'Under My Thumb' are mono, which the other one definitely did, is here, bit the link is dead. https://tommyshouseofwhores.wordpress.com/2015/10/29/the-who-1967-1968-whos-for-tennis-a-lost-album-shelved-by-the-band-the-horror/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it this one
      https://ru-thewho.livejournal.com/92713.html

      Delete
    2. Yes, it was! I searched everywhere for that, so thanks for the link.

      Delete
  3. Hi & thanks for your hard work on these LP's. I DL'd the Mega link Lynx.7z & it didn't open the PDF? Tried to DL 2x. Please advise, as there's plenty of good music here, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very strange. Try it now.

      Delete
    2. That didn't work, so I've uploaded the Word file until I work out what's happening,

      Delete