Sunday, December 27, 2020

Lindsey Buckingham - Gift Of Screws (2001)

I've seen quite a few online requests from people who want to hear Lindsey Buckingham's 'Gift Of Screws' album. Not being a fan, I didn't really understand what they were asking, as Buckingham did in fact release an album called 'Gift Of Screws' in 2008, but after a bit of investigation I found out exactly why they were all desperate to hear this earlier album. Buckingham actually recorded a bunch of songs between 1995 and 2000 for a projected solo album, and the general opinion is that if it had come out in 2001 it would have been his best ever release. When he presented it to the record company they advised him to keep some of the songs back for a forthcoming Fleetwood Mac album, and so 2003's 'Say You Will' contained some of his work which was originally destined for 'Gift Of Screws'. The official 2008 'Gift Of Screws' album only included one track from these demos, notably the title track, inspired by an Emily Dickinson poem. Having now heard this album I'm amazed at just how good it is, and it's shown Buckingham to me in a whole new light.



Track listing

01 Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind
02 Miranda
03 Steal Your Heart Away
04 Red Rover
05 She Smiled Sweetly
06 Come
07 Down On Rodeo
08 Gotta Get Away
09 Try For The Sun
10 Shuffle Riff
11 Murrow
12 Gift Of Screws
13 Bleed To Love Her
14 Twist Of Fate
15 Wear You Down (Steve's Riff)
16 Say Goodbye
17 The Singer Not The Song
18 Given Thing
19 Deep Dense
20 Blue Turns To Grey


5 comments:

  1. What's the story with the cover? That's a very interesting picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it's a great cover - reminds me a bit of Salvador Dali. It's the cover that came with the original bootleg back in the early 00's, so don't know exactly where it's from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey PJ, thanks for this - there is some really good stuff here, indeed some excellent material. However, the form is a mess. There is no flow to the collection as is and it is also running a little long. So I cut out some stuff (including the "title track", which I really can't bring myself to like) and sequenced it to make a more listenable album which (with unlisted bonus track "Given Thing") runs a much more manageable and, to my ears, listenable 54 minutes.

    Here's my version of Gift Of Screws:

    01 Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind
    02 Bleed To Love Her
    03 Miranda
    04 Steal Your Heart Away
    05 Deep Dense
    06 Down On Rodeo
    07 Twist Of Fate
    08 She Smiled Sweetly
    09 Try For The Sun
    10 I'm Gonna Wait For You
    11 The Singer Not The Song
    12 Gotta Get Away
    13 Say Goodbye

    Track 10 is "Shuffle Riff" which I have retitled to what I think is the title, according to the chorus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It wasn't my track listing as this is a CD that's around online if you know where to look http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/bootlegs/bootleg-info/info_pages/LB-GOS-Lossless.html , so feel fee to knock it into any shape that sounds good to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, I know, I just thought I'd share what I did with it. Anyway, keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete