Sunday, December 27, 2020

Neil Young - Buffalo Alone (1967) Upgrade

On a recent holiday I took a few of my reconstructions to listen to, and on hearing this one some years after I put it together, I felt that a couple of things prevented it from working as well as it could. The main one was the inclusion of the song 'Broken Arrow', which, while it is undoubtedly one of Young's finest pieces, includes parts from two other tracks which are also on the album, and so I felt that it probably wouldn't have been included if he was going to have the studio version of 'Mr Soul' on there, as well as 'Down Down Down', which uses the main melody of 'Broken Arrow'. I've also removed the closing 'I'm Your Kind Of Guy' as it was rather short, as Young admitted at the end of the recording, and didn't really fit with the reflective mood of most of the other songs, and I've rejigged the running order slightly. This leaves us with a concise 36 minute album, which still includes 13 tracks, and is closer to the length of the average record of the period, making what I feel that Young's debut could have sounded like in 1967. 



Track listing

01 Slowly Burning 
02 Expecting To Fly
03 Old Laughing Lady
04 I Am a Child 
05 One More Sign
06 Sugar Mountain 
07 Mr. Soul
08 Down, Down, Down
09 Sell Out 
10 Round and Round and Round
11 Flying on the Ground is Wrong
12 Falcon Lake
13 Down To The Wire


1 comment:

  1. Just a little food for thought, but perhaps using the demo version of Broken Arrow that can be streamed on the Neil Young Archives website would be a better fit for a true solo record of Buffalo Springfield tunes.

    ReplyDelete