Sunday, December 27, 2020

Coldplay - If You Never Try, Then You'll Never Know (2002)

When Coldplay's debut album 'Parachutes' came out in 2000 it passed me by, and they didn't really come to my attention until their second one was released, and 'Yellow', from the first one, started getting some belated airplay. I loved 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head', and so quickly bought 'Parachutes', and then waited for the next one to arrive. After a couple of years with no sign of a new album I started looking around to see if there were any unreleased tracks that would tide me over, and I was surprised to find that before 'Parachutes' the band had released three E.P.s, and so I quickly tracked them down and found that, although the style was a little different to 'A Rush Of Blood...', I actually thought the songs themselves were very impressive. That prompted me to keep looking, and before long I had enough unreleased material to burn to a CD, with well over an hour's worth of music on it. Once again, it's sat on a shelf for sixteen years, so it's time to dig it out and share it. To be honest I've gone off the band a bit since 'Viva La Vida', so I don't know if any of this has ever been officially released on a compilation, but even if it has this is still a great summary of the first four years of the band's existence.




Track listing

01 Brothers & Sisters (from the 'Safety' E.P. 1998)
02 Bigger Stronger (from the 'Safety' E.P. 1998)
03 No More Keeping My Feet On The Ground (from the 'Safety' E.P. 1998)
04 Such A Rush (from the 'Blue Room' E.P. 1999)
05 Easy To Please (from the 'Brothers & Sisters' EP 1999)
06 See You Soon (from the 'Blue Room' E.P. 1999)
07 Only Superstition (from the 'Brothers & Sisters' EP 1999)
08 Careful Where You Stand (b-side of 'Shiver' 2000)
09 For You (b-side of 'Shiver' 2000)
10 Help Is Round The Corner (b-side of 'Yellow' 2000)
11 Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (Jo Whiley BBC Session 2001)
12 One I Love (b-side of 'In My Place' 2002)
13 I Bloom Blaum (b-side of 'In My Place' 2002)
14 1.36 (b-side of 'The Scientist' 2002)
15 I Ran Away (b-side of 'The Scientist' 2002)
16 Crest Of Waves (b-side of 'Clocks' 2002)
17 Animals (b-side of 'Clocks' 2002)

If you're wondering about the odd title, it's because the picture that I found for the back cover of the CD had this quote from 'Fix You' written under the band's name, and I thought that it was enigmatic enough to use it. 

5 comments:

  1. Nice variety here! I'm in the same boat regarding Coldplay."Shiver" turned my chair for em. Checked out after Vida. "Death Will Not Overcome" is a good b-side from around that time. Sung by drummer Will Champion... think that's the name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's another volume on the way, including that track.

      Delete
  2. Re-upped and alternate link added.

    ReplyDelete