Sunday, December 27, 2020

Peter Gabriel - The Non Album (1997)

I've had a Peter Gabriel bootleg called 'The Non Album' for a number of years, containing rare b-sides and songs offered to film soundtracks, and so I thought it would be a good post for the site. However, I wanted to upgrade my low-bitrate copy, and on searching the net I discovered that it was no longer anywhere to be found, so as an alternative I grabbed the four CD rarities bootleg 'Rare', with the intention of re-compiling it for the site. When I had a good look at what was available on this collection I found that I was actually able to make three albums - one solely of rare b-sides, one just of songs from film soundtracks, and a third compilation of live collaborations, and so this is now the first of a trilogy of posts. Gabriel's first half dozen singles took their b-sides from his then current albums, and so these tracks date from 1980's 'Biko' to 1992's 'Digging The Dirt', and I've also included 'In The Sun' from the 'Diana, Princess Of Wales: Tribute' album of 1997 - a song written by Gabriel's Real World label-mate Joseph Arthur, and which he allowed Gabriel to record before he'd even taped his own version for his 'Come To Where I'm From' album. 'Gaga', the b-side to 'Red Rain', is an instrumental version of an old song called 'I Go Swimming', and I've included the demo for that song as a bonus track.   



Track listing

01 Shosholoza (b-side to 'Biko')
02 Across The River (b-side to 'I Have The Touch')
03 Soft Dog (b-side to 'Shock The Monkey')
04 Don't Break This Rhythm (b-side to 'Sledgehammer')
05 Gaga (I Go Swimming' instrumental) (b-side to 'Red Rain')
06 Curtains (b-side to 'Big Time')
07 In The Sun (from 'Diana: A Tribute')
08 Bashi Bazouk (b-side to 'Digging In The Dirt')
09 I Go Swimming (Previously unreleased)


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the Pete. The man is a real musical genius and has not stopped. I only saw him , once but really impressive! Now I gotta listen to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember buying the 'Biko' single at the time and there was also a german version of one of his earlier songs included, 'Here Comes The Flood'.

    ReplyDelete