Sunday, December 27, 2020

The Rutles - Yellow Submarine Sandwich (2018)

Thanks are due to The_Lifehouse for coming up with the idea for this one. There's been a video on Youtube for a while now of songs from side one of this album, but no-one has ever bothered to complete it with a side two, until he suggested using orchestral pieces like the original album, and he had the great idea of utlising music from the Ren & Stimpy Show. They have a three CD collection of public domain tunes from the 40's and 50's that are used in their shows, and while his choices were mostly perfectly fine, I did trawl through two volumes of the set to see if there were any pieces which I felt matched his track titles a little better, and so I hope he doesn't mind that I've used the ones that I found instead, and by choosing slightly longer pieces I've stretched side two to around 21 minutes. I've also substituted a couple of tracks from the 'song' side as they'd already been used on other albums, but I decided to leave 'Ging Gang Goolie (Yellow Submarine) and 'Love Life' (All You Need Is Love') as the original Beatles songs had already appeared on 'Revolver' and 'Magical Mystery Tour' by the time the film came out, so duplications are allowed in those two cases. Finally, thanks to Rutle's Vinyls for suggesting 'I Like Chinese' as the 'All Together Now' of this set.



Track listing

SIDE ONE
01 Ging Gang Goolie
02 Hush
03 I Like Chinese
04 Hey Bulldog
05 All In The Name Of Love
06 Love Life

SIDE TWO
07 Rutterland
08 Sea Of Space
09 Sea Of Plot Holes
10 Sea Of Creatures
11 Attack Of The Meanies And Sharks
12 Rutterland Laid Waste
13 Yellow Submarine Sandwich In Rutterland

PERFORMERS
* Dirk & Stig (Idle/Fataar) - 01
* Neil Innes - 02, 05
* Eric Idle/Monty Python - 03
* Boxer - 04
* The Rutles - 06
* Ren & Stimpy Production Music - 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13


No comments:

Post a Comment