Sunday, December 27, 2020

Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan Vol. 2 (1962)

As I mentioned in my 'Freewheelin' Again' post, in his early recording days Dylan tended to take more songs into the studio than were needed for an album, and as he recorded all of them then there are some great quality out-takes floating around. I found this bootleg online, combining the officially released debut album with a number of rare out-takes, so I've extracted the songs which didn't make that debut and added in some others from the same year to make up a companion to his debut album, which I've called 'Vol. 2'. 'House Carpenter', 'He Was A Friend Of Mine', and 'Man On The Street' (a Dylan composition) were recorded at the debut album sessions, although this version of 'Man On The Street', along with a couple of the other songs, are live takes. The rest of the tracks were mostly recorded for radio broadcasts, such as 'Folksinger's Choice' with Cynthia Gooding in 1962, so the quality is exceptional for the period. I really liked the cover that came with the bootleg, but it listed the songs from the debut album, so I've removed them and replaced them with the songs on this compilation. 


Track listing

01 Roll On John
02 Hard Times In New York
03 He Was A Friend On Mine
04 Smokestack Lightning
05 No More Auction Block
06 Stealin' Stealin'
07 House Carpenter
08 Man On The Street
09 Talkin' Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues
10 Omie Wise
11 Ramblin' Gamblin' Willie
12 Talkin' Hava Negeilah Blues
13 The Girl I Left Behind
14 Worried Blues
15 Kingsport Town


6 comments:

  1. Thank you, always good to get some more early Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame, I only recently discovered your great blog. Not only the music but also the stories around it fascinate me to a large extent
    I would also like to take the opportunity to make a suggestion. Would it be possible for you to put together Duane Allman's solo album (which was never released) ?
    I wish you good luck with your blog
    Greetings from Belgium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have looked at this in the past and don't think that I could get enough good quality songs together, but I think it's worth another try. Watch out for a great Allman Brothers post soon from their 'Brothers & Sisters' period.

      Delete
    2. I discovered your great blog quite by accident today, and I'm going to plunder most of your posts. I know most of the similar sites you refer to but I prefer your flexible way of handling things and inventing albums that should/could have been. Your various B-Side comps are especially helpful and much preferable to the brainless sequencing most box sets are based on.
      Thanks, and keep doing the good work. I'll certainly be back!
      Strohmian

      Delete
  3. Ican't seem to find this one on Soulseek. Could you please give me a search hint? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dylan aiwe worked fine for me, but if that doesn't, then vol aiwe also brought it up.

      Delete