Sunday, December 27, 2020

The Move - Vote For The Move (1971)

There are many, many Move compilations around, but I've yet to find one that concentrates on the hard to find b-sides and non-albums singles, as of course they need to put the hits on there to sell the records. Consequently I had to make my own, to complement the studio albums that I have by them. The Move has always been a favourite band, and in my opinion Roy Wood is one of the UK's best ever songwriters, so you can pretty much guarantee that even obscure b-sides will be well worth hearing, and that has turned out to be the case for songs that even I hadn't previously heard. It's surprising just how many huge hit singles were never added to their albums, as any other band would have tucked 'I Can Hear The Grass Grow' or 'Blackberry Way' onto an album to promote sales, but The Move had more than enough great songs already, so they could afford to leave them off and still produce superb albums. This collection is named after a rare b-side that would have appeared on the flip of 'Cherry Blossom Clinic' in 1967, before it was cancelled amid fears that the lyrics, about the inmates of a mental institution, might be accused of being in bad taste. Their last album 'Message From The Country' was released in 1971, so their trilogy of post-album singles 'Tonight'/'Chinatown'/
'California Man' ended their career on a massive high, with three of their best rock songs.  



Track listing

01 Night Of Fear (single 1966)
02 Disturbance (b-side of 'Night Of Fear')
03 I Can Hear The Grass Grow (single 1967)
04 Wave Your Flag And Stop The Train (b-side of 'I Can Hear The Grass Grow')
05 Vote For Me (b-side of aborted 'Cherry Blossom Clinic' single 1967)
06 Wild Tiger Woman (single 1968)
07 Omnibus (b-side of 'Wild Tiger Woman')
08 Blackberry Way (single 1968)
09 Something (b-side of 'Blackberry Way')
10 Curly (single 1969)
11 This Time Tomorrow (b-side of 'Curly')
12 Lightning Never Strikes Twice (b-side of 'Brontosaurus' 1970)
13 Tonight (single 1971)
14 Chinatown (single 1971)
15 Down On The Bay (b-side of 'Chinatown')
16 California Man (single 1971)
17 Do Ya (b-side of 'California Man')


4 comments:

  1. The Move have a chaotic discography, and I have hard time figuring it all out. I think there are a number of other single-only tracks you could have included. The obvious "Do Ya" comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's more stuff. I plan on posting three stray tracks albums from the Move on my blog (Albums that Should Exist), plus three more albums of their BBC stuff (which contains lots of songs they didn't do elsewhere). But it'll probably be a while before I get to that, since there are so many other artists I'm posting stuff from.

      Delete
    2. I should add that it looks like Peter here is sticking to A- and B-sides, but the Move has lots of outtakes and bonus tracks and such on top of that.

      Delete
    3. Good point about 'Do Ya'. For some reason I thought it was on 'Message From The Country' along with 'Ella James', but it wasn't, so I've tagged it on at the end to complete the album.

      Delete