Sunday, December 27, 2020

Donna Summer - Hot Stuff On The Radio (1979)

I can't say that I'm particularly enamoured with disco as a genre, with only a few groups like Chic and some of the Bee Gees work really catching my attention, but one artist that I do have a lot of time for is Donna Summer. There are a number of reasons for this, but it's mostly down to her enthusiasm for experimenting with the style, and not just sticking to the tried and tested disco beat. Her early work with Giorgio Moroder was more Krautrock than disco, with 'I Feel Love's pulsating rhythms sounding more like Kraftwerk, but still being able to fill a dancefloor. She was also unafraid to push the boundaries in terms of the length of her songs, with  'Love To Love You, Baby' and 'Try Me, I Know We Can Make It' filling the whole of side one of their respective albums, and also releasing a sixteen minute take of 'Je T'aime (Moi Non Plus)' with Giorgio Moroder in 1977. She even made a disco concept album with the 'Four Seasons Of Love' record, including another of my faves in 'Winter Melody'. Even when she released standard length singles, she often also issued extended 12" mixes as well, and those are some of my favourite tracks of hers. Recently I fancied hearing a few of them, and once I'd dug them out I wondered what they'd sound like if I mixed them all together, so that's what I did. Originally this was purely for me, to hone my skills with Audacity in seguing my six favourite songs together, but I was quite pleased with how it turned out so I thought I'd share it for anyone who has a soft spot for the sadly missed Donna at the height of her powers.



Track listing

01 On The Radio / Hot Stuff / Bad Girls / I Feel Love / Walk Away / 
     No More Tears (Enough Is Enough) [with Barbara Streisand]


4 comments:

  1. pj, I'm bummed that this link is down. Could you please repost it??

    -RoBurque

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks pj! LOVE your site!!!!!

    -RoBurque

    ReplyDelete