Sunday, December 27, 2020

The Futureheads - Living In The Past (2006)

As soon as I heard the spikey post-punk sound of The Futureheads I knew that they would be a band that I'd grow to cherish. Their first album is a masterpiece of the genre, with fifteen short, sharp pieces of energetic post-punk, and including arguably the only Kate Bush cover that's surpassed the original, with 'Hounds Of Love'. From that point on I sought out everything that they released, and that was something of a mammoth task with the issue of their 'Decent Days And Nights' single, with its myriad formats and variety of b-sides. Their follow-up record 'News And Tributes' was another great album, with a slightly more mature sound, and the band continued to grow with the release of 'This Is Not The World' and 'The Chaos', until they issued their most ambitious album yet in 2012, with the acapella 'Rant'. Eschewing musical instruments, the whole record is composed of just voices, and despite how daunting that sounds, it really worked, and was a triumph. Around 2006 I decided to collect all those hard to find songs onto one CD, and as with the Arctic Monkeys and Laura Marling discs from previous posts, they then sat on my shelf for thirteen years before I decided to share them, so I hope that some of you will remember with affection this superb indie band, and will appreciate hearing songs that you might not have known existed.



Track listing

01 Ticket (from the '1-2-3.nul!' EP 2003)
02 Piece Of Crap (b-side of 'First Day' 2003)
03 A Picture Of Dorian Grey (from the '1-2-3.nul!' EP 2003)
04 Cabaret (from the '1-2-3.nul!' EP 2003)
05 Fit But You Know It (b-side of Mike Skinner & The Streets CD 2004)
06 Banquo (b-side of 'Decent Days And Nights' CD single 2005)
07 Boring The Children (b-side of Australian 'Decent Days And Nights' CD single 2005)
08 Balsh (b-side of 'First Day' 2003)
09 Appreciate The Effort (b-side of 'Decent Days And Nights' 2004)
10 Tearing Holes (from the '1-2-3.nul!' Promo EP 2003)
11 Park Inn (from the 'Nul Book Standard' EP 2002)
12 Remote Control (b-side of 'Decent Days And Nights' CD single 2004)
13 Area (single 2005)
14 Easy For Us (b-side of 'Skip To The End' 2006)
15 Help Us Out (b-side of 'Area')
16 We Cannot Lose (b-side of 'Area')
17 Outro (from the 'Nul Book Standard' EP 2002)

10 comments:

  1. Hi, can I ask where you sourced the Nul Book Standard tracks from? I own the 7 inch vinyl EP but unfortunately the quality of the pressing isn't fab and the promo CD is too rare to be found to buy anywhere online. Always wanted to hear those tracks in a better audio quality than the vinyl or Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest I can't remember from 2006, but I did used to download from Limewire (if you remember them) so it might have been from there. Luckily I burned them to a CD at the time, as I doubt if you'd find them anywhere today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, do you still have it? I've been desperate to source a better quality version of the recording since I started collecting Futureheads stuff in 2008. I own plenty of rare tracks by various artists (almost all in lossless) I can exchange in return including the following examples:

    -Teleman (including their Breakfast Bonus EP and limited tour CDs from 2016 and 2018 of which less than a handful of copies have ever been sold on sites like Discogs)
    -Peter Bjorn And John (including rips of my own vinyls of their first ever demo EP and a white label LP of demos from the Writer's Block sessions)
    -Other rare tracks by the Futureheads including every one of their CD and vinyl b-sides
    -Field Music rarities (lost some in a hard drive crash but still have plenty left)
    -Maximo Park (including Japanese/German-only bonus tracks)
    -Patrick Wolf
    -The Hives
    -Kings Of Convenience and Erlend Oye's solo work
    -El Perro Del Mar
    -Eggstone
    -Coldplay
    And plenty of others. Don't have them uploaded anywhere so it'll take a while but let me know if you have your CD still & if anything interests you. After the news story today about MySpace losing all their data, I feel vindicated from all the friends who used to laugh at me as a teen for collecting CDs when they were buying iPods and Zunes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ripped the CD for this post so this is probably the best quality that I have. Have you downloaded it to compare to your copy? I could rip the tracks in FLAC if you want to email me direct from the address under My Web page in my profile, and I'll forward them on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't download this file 'cause the link leads to a 403 Forbidden error page, but I'll email you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. Just catching up on my Futureheads collection many years later. Does the 1-2-3 Nul promo contain tracks not listed on discogs, and not on the standard CD? I have the standard, but 'Tearing Holes' is not there. Also, 'Outro? Is this, again, only on the promo CD version, not on the 7"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like the promo CD was quite different to the standard issue, with only the standard one being listed on Discogs. Luckily I saved all the songs when they came out, including 'Park Inn', as otherwise those songs seem to be long gone. Here's a review from 2001 mentioning some of those mysterious songs http://drownedinsound.com/releases/4309/reviews/1370-

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your response. Any chance of re-uploading the download of the songs? I got a 403 message. And any others you have?
      Park Inn, bizarrely, is one of the only available ones, as it's appeared on a few compilations, so I have seen it on Amazon and 7digital for purchase. It says '(live)', but it isn't, it's the version from the 7"

      Delete