Sunday, December 27, 2020

Rachel Flowers - A Tribute To Keith Emerson (2009)

Following my last post from Rachel Flowers I expected to see some comments from people who were blown away at seeing her incredible solo interpretation of Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Tarkus on Keith Emerson's own mini-Moog, and so I can only assume that you were all so stunned by it that you couldn't even type! As I mentioned in that post, Rachel is a massive fan of ELP, and Keith Emerson in particular, so much so that they became friends during the later years of his life. She has performed many covers of the band's material, and there have been videos of her versions of 'Karn Evil 9 - First Impression' and 'Karn Evil 9 - Second Impression' around for a while on Youtube, but I'd never found the third part until quite recently, and so now that I have them all I've decided it's time to post all three as her tribute to Keith Emerson. As well was the complete 'Karn Evil 9', she's also recorded her own interpretation of Emerson's 'Piano Concerto No. 1' as a piece for piano and flute. As you might have seen from the previous post, I was asked to take down my link to the album, and replace it with posts to Rachel's own Soundcloud page, and so I'll be doing the same here, with links to the Youtube videos rather than my own album. However, in this case I think this is actually better, as during the 'Piano Concerto' you would have heard Rachel playing the flute and the piano, but without seeing it you would never have known that she was playing the flute one-handed while keeping the rhythm on the piano, BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. As I said last time, do check out Rachel's other Youtube videos as well as her Soundcloud page, and support this extraordinary talent if you can.



Track listing

01 Karn Evil 9 - First Impression
02 Karn Evil 9 - Second Impression
03 Karn Evil 9 - Third Impression
04 Piano Concerto No. 1

5 comments:

  1. Wow. Ironically, you do really need to see her to believe it. And such great taste - Crimson and ELP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I was slow on the up-tick with Rachel Flowers - but she is amazing.

      Delete
  2. Sólo otro talento podía igualar a Keith...y es ella, la talentosísima Rachel Flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ELP,King Crimson,Frank Zappa y otros.Me deleito escuchándote y viéndote,¡Gracias Rachel!

    ReplyDelete