Sunday, December 27, 2020

Donna Summer - Hard Working Independent Woman (1989)

I thought I'd used all my favourite Donna Summer songs on my previous two posts, but on hearing 'State Of Independence' on the radio recently I realised there were a few that I'd missed, so here's a third mix to mop them all up. We start with a rare promo-only 12" mix of 'With Your Love', from the 'Thank God It's Friday' soundtrack, and then follow that with extended takes of some more of her biggest hits. I've called it 'Hard Working Independent Woman, as not only does that incorporate some of her song titles, but she did work hard during her career, being one of the first female disco artists to write her own songs, and becoming a cultural icon, making her not just one of the defining voices of that era, but also an influence on pop artists from Madonna to Beyoncé. Unlike some other stars of disco who faded as the music became less popular in the early 1980's, Summer was able to grow beyond the genre and segued to a pop-rock sound, with one of her biggest hits, 'She Works Hard For the Money', becoming another anthem, this time for women's rights. She is still sorely missed some seven years after her tragic death.



Track listing

With Your Love / This Time I Know It's For Real / State Of Independence / The Woman In Me / She Works Hard For The Money / Heaven Knows / Love's Unkind  

4 comments:

  1. Is there a reason these tracks are not split. All one file with my dl. Would be nice to have seperate tracks if possible. Thanks for your shares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's meant to be a one-track mix with no gaps, like the first two posts. It's just me playing around with my Audio Editor really, as the tracks themselves are pretty easy to find on Youtube or the expanded editions of the albums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reply, guess I'll have to seek out the expanded editions. Appreciate your efforts

    ReplyDelete
  4. merci pour mon montage de photo de DONNA , cela me fait plaisir et merci pour le partages ***

    ReplyDelete