Sunday, December 27, 2020

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of A Dream (2003)

I found a very strange post the other day, purporting to be a one and half hour mix of Pink Floyd music, but unfortunately it had a dead link. Some investigation revealed that it appeared in 2005, and either at that time or shortly afterwards was added to the soundtrack of a short 1969 film by Jim Henson (yes, the Muppet man) called 'The Cube'. There's been much discussion on the net about who or what it was, with some people claiming that it was by the band Dream Theater, and others claiming parts of it could be by Signal Hill (not the L.A. progressive metallers, but another band of the same name), but it was generally believed to be music by Pink Floyd pieced together by someone called Ray Kolling, and it was later added to 'The Cube' by someone else, but having to lose around 20 minutes of music in order to fit the running time of the film. Then suddenly Ray Kolling himself turned up on the Steve Hoffman site with this to say:

Hi fellow Floyd fans..... 
I am the creator of this mix you are talking about, Dark Side Of A Dream....
I started it as a personal project in the summer of 2001 just to experiment with different ideas I had concerning digital mixing...
I was a DJ a few decades before and I always had a love for the Floyd so I decided to try a mix using the Floyd music and style...
It was originally released around 2003 on some file sharing sites that were popular at the time and released on bit torrent a few years later.
Its kinda cool having people still listening to this mix some 10 years on, as it was a brief moment in my life that needed to be filled by a burst of creativity.
During the 5 years after release, it got about 1,000,000 downloads on torrent sites. I never expected that but I did produce a second mix 'Passage' shortly thereafter.
Personally, I don't think it was quite as good and I didn't put much effort into it, but it did have limited success.
The description above by 'toptentwist' is fairly accurate, and I dont recall all of the source material. But 14 and 15 are from a 'Signal Hill melody'. (referring to the track list put together by toptentwist - see below)
Some of the cuts were from less known bootleg releases with a bit of 'eq' to compensate for the poor quality of the track; some live, less known cuts from other official releases; and some cuts from 'a tree full of secrets'. Most everything else was from studio discs and the whole thing was done with Sony Acid Pro and a few other programs.
I never thought this would be popular and I never wanted any money or recognition. It was just something I needed to do to find myself, and thankfully, it worked.
Ray Kolling

Try as I might I couldn't locate a live link anywhere, but I wanted to hear it so badly that I eventually tracked down a copy of the film, and by running the soundtrack through Audacity I managed to remove most of the dialogue, leaving just a rumble here and there where it was a bit loud. Less than a week after I posted that admittedly not great quality copy, an anonymous visitor has sent me a file of the original sixty-nine minute mix, so many, many thanks to them, and we can now finally hear what the fuss was all about.  



Track breakdown of the 69 minute mix by toptentwist

01 Gunner's Dream (2:12) - Starts with the heartbeat from 'Dark Side Of The Moon', the bell from 'Division Bell', the rowing sounds from 'Momentary Lapse Of Reason' - and seems to be the the real Floyd track.
02 Goodbye Blue Sky (2:31) - seems to be the real Floyd track (with some mix effects)
03 The Post War Dream (2:13) - seems to the real Floyd track but fades out with the heart beat from 'Dark Side...' and then flows into a keyboard quote from 'Sheep' from the 'Animals' album
04 Sheep (excerpt) (2:10) - transitions into the next song that quietly fades in for about the last 30 seconds
05 Dogs (excerpt) (not sure how to call the time - since it starts before the other song finishes - at some point I hear the "mad for years" bit from 'Dark Side...' and the airplane from 'Dark Side...' as well.... seems like the idea was to blend the two songs from 'Animals')... the whole bit (both songs - lasts about 3:30)... and transitions into
06 The Thin Ice (3:30) - starts with some crowd noise and some background vocals flown in from god knows where but seems to be the Pink Floyd album track from 'The Wall'
07 Another Brick In the Wall (Part 1) (excerpt) (0:54) transitions into girl talking from 'The Wall' ("Are all these your guitars?")
08 On the Run (4:40) - starts with various album effects - 'Dark Side...' heartbeat and laugh, some stuff from 'The Wall' - eventually transitions into the synth song from 'Dark Side...' and ends with something I think is from 'The Wall'... again somewhat hard to say the time - but I stopped it after 4:40
09 Is There Anybody Out There (1:35 ) - definitely live acoustic guitar - not sure who it is playing - lots of Pink Floyd sound effects (it's getting clearer to me what someone did when they created this odd hodge podge)
10 In The Flesh (4:47 ) - starts with a very long introduction I'll call "Welcome To Nassau Coliseum" - this really confused me at first - I think its from an actual stage announcement before a live 1980 Floyd performance on Long Island - transitions into first song from 'The Wall'. Reading about the double live CD of the 'The Wall' released in 2000 - that seems to be from that... the guy announces his name at the start ("Gary Yudman")... the actual band performance sounds like a different band than Floyd... Did Floyd really use a surrogate band for those original shows??? I seem to remember reading they did - but it seems a little over the top (ha ha ha - of course it was - ha ha ha)
11 What Do You Want From Me (5:05) This one took me a while to identify - because its from the non-Waters era
12 Sorrow (1:50) - Almost missed noticing this one... leaves with a heartbeat segue into
13 Empty Spaces -> What Shall We Do Now? (5:15 ) seems to be from two CD 'The Wall' live album
14 Don't Leave Me Now (3:55) - transitions into audience noise at the end - seems to just be 'The Wall' studio recording - not much effects
15 Wish You Were Here (3:42) - I think this is someone else covering Floyd - not sure who...
16 Comfortably Numb (7:20) - another recording of someone doing a cover of Floyd... no electric guitar... interesting to hear acoustic guitar attempt to mimic Gilmour's famous solo at the end
17 Marooned (4:50) - includes sound effects of guy rowing - sounds like live Floyd to me - but not sure what release it would be from because that song isn't on 'Pulse' or 'Delicate Sound Of Thunder' (read that its on the 'Pulse' DVD - so its probably from there)
18 Pigs on the Wing (3:15) - seems to be Part 1 and Part 2 from the 'Animals' album joined by a middle flown in from somewhere else - middle seems to be Gilmour on electric guitar
19 High Hopes (8:30) seems to be Floyd live from the 'Pulse' album... ends with a segue that is a combination of various Floyd sounds... one of them seems to be 'Small Furry Animals' from the 'Ummagumma' album


17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Don't I know it, which is why I've posted it in the hope that someone has a good quality copy that they can let me have. If it had a million downloads in 2005 then you'd hope that there would be a copy out there somewhere.

      Delete
    2. There is an archived copy of the original mix here https://archive.org/details/auyhjyj
      and a torrent link if you want a digi-copy.
      enjoy
      RK

      Delete
  2. Pigs on the Wing part 1 and 2 is probably from the 8-track recording because it was made for that with Snowy White playing the guitar in between the two songs and of course he has performed with both Pink Floyd and with Roger Waters through their careers. There you go, make an album compilation of songs that were different on 8-track cassette or whatever source that were officially released that would be a good one for you to attempt just my two cents. Great sight great albums keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.mixcloud.com/dlesaner/pink-floyd-the-dark-side-of-a-dream-lofipsychedelicrock-trip/

    Not sure if this qualifies as a good copy, but found this while looking for one LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this and was quite excited, but it turns out it's just a copy of the DSOTM album with a couple of extra tracks at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here you go. Enjoy, it's a great mix
    https://www79.zippyshare.com/v/hAnX9Jtu/file.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Unknown Person !
      I just realised i have another mix made by the same guy. It's called Passage and it's a wav file so it should be better quality. Also i like it more than the other one

      https://www73.zippyshare.com/v/X7ngwvGu/file.html

      Delete
    2. I had already found that on Youtube and it's all set for a future post, but I'll use your file as it's probably better quality. Thanks

      Delete
  6. This is quite unique. Had never heard of it. I love the remaking of music that your site and others are into. Quite cool. Minor quibble, I do wish it was easier to follow which song is which with one big mp3 file.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just thankful that toptentwist took the time to go through it note by note and work it out for us, but I don't want to split it into separate tracks as I feel that would detract from Ray's work.

      Delete
  7. "Marooned" is from the album "The Division Bell". I don't know if they ever did it Live. Thanks for the post though. I never heard this but it sounds like it was made similar to their last album; "The Endless River" as that is a mash up of old stuff they never used and was done as a tribute to Rick Wright and also to "Put Pink Floyd to Bed". Their last "Official" album. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool, thank you.

    ReplyDelete