Sunday, December 27, 2020

Pink Floyd - Passage (2009)

In the reply that Ray Kolling posted on the Steve Hoffman site about his mix of 'Dark Side Of A Dream' he said During the 5 years after the release, it got about 1,000,000 downloads on torrent sites. I never expected that but I did produce a second mix 'Passage' shortly thereafter. Personally, I don't think it was quite as good and I didn't put much effort into it, but it did have limited success. 
This one is much easier to find, and there is a Youtube video of it with some nice visuals attached, but the visitor who gave us the good copy of '...Dream' has sent a high quality copy of 'Passage', and as I'd already made the cover I'm able to post it straight away. I think Ray is being modest in his appraisal of it, as it sounds great to me, and concentrates more on the 'Dark Side..'/'Wish You Were Here' period, with some interesting versions of the songs used in the mix. If anyone feels like breaking it down and identifying the songs used, like toptentwist did with the first one, then feel free, and I can add that to the post later. 



Track listing

01 Passage


7 comments:

  1. So, should this be considered track two of DSOAD, or as a distinct entity of it's own, as Kolling did create this as a sequel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm treating it as a separate entity, as I think that's what Ray planned, as he seemed to leave so long between completing both tracks. I know it's a bit short for an album but it crams a lot into it's running time.

      Delete
    2. I finished DSOAD in early 2003 after about a year and a half of toying and learning Acid v1.0 and some other techniques in sound editing. I am a long-time fan and wanted to make something unique. Passage, however felt unfinished and a bit raw. I had some new ideas but never really got it to sound the way I thought it should. It was a tribute to Syd Barrett who had just passed, hence it's title and ambience. I never thought of these mixes as 'albums' but in retrospect I won't correct anyone who does. In any case, I'm glad you liked them, RK.

      Delete
  2. Thanks pj, I prefer this one to DSOAD, the first 40 mins of that was great until the non-floyd versions appeared IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much. Nice cover too.

    ReplyDelete