Sunday, December 27, 2020

Phish - Quadrophenia (1995)

I posted Phish's 'The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday' as a prelude to a series of albums that I'll be posting from the band, based on their annual Halloween performances. One of the most beloved Phish traditions is their Halloween 'musical costume', which dates back to their 1994 Halloween performance at New York’s Glen Falls Civic Center. For their first-ever musical costume, Phish asked their fans what album they’d want to hear played live, in full, via a mailed-in voting system, and the overwhelming winner was The Beatles’ 'White Album'. The show took place at Glen Falls, with Phish playing a full set of originals, followed by the 28-song Beatles record, then a third set of further originals. The band had never performed any of the songs on the 'White Album' before, barring a one-off performance of 'Piggies' a decade prior. Fans were absolutely stunned, leaving the venue around 3:30 a.m. after a ridiculous and triumphant night. The legend of this show continues to propel Phish forward, and the show launched a Halloween legend that is still going on today. 
Bearing in mind the recent anniversary re-issues of the 'White Album', and the many reinterpretations that the bonus tracks have inspired, I thought people would have heard enough of it over the past few months, so I decided to skip that inaugural show and start this series with the following year's choice - 'Quadrophenia'. (I can always post the 'White Album' show later if enough people want to hear it.) After the wild success of their tribute to the 'White Album', Phish decided to continue the Halloween tradition, asking fans to send in suggestions for albums to cover for Halloween 1995. While Frank Zappa's 'Joe’s Garage' was the clear winner, the band decided that the album's extensive production and potentially offensive lyrics were a non-starter, so they chose to cover the runner-up instead, which was The Who's 'Quadrophenia'. The show took place at Rosemont Horizon in Illinois, and Phish absolutely tore through the album, delivering a powerful performance of another classic record. When the band took the stage, they were joined by a horn section and some backup vocalists to fill out the album’s sound. The band turned in a true masterpiece performance on that evening, surpassing the already-high expectations that they had set for themselves the previous year, and whetting fan's appetite for next year's show, whatever it would be. 



Track listing

01 I Am The Sea
02 The Real Me
03 Quadrophenia
04 Cut My Hair
05 The Punk And The Godfather
06 I'm One
07 The Dirty Jobs
08 Helpless Dancer
09 Is It In My Head
10 I've Had Enough
11 5:15
12 Sea And Sand
13 Drowned
14 Bell Boy
15 Doctor Jimmy
16 The Rock
17 Love, Reign O'er Me


8 comments:

  1. Years ago I did a cover for this that had the members of Phish in the rear view mirrors. Wonder if I still have that on a disc somewhere ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case you don't find it I thought I'd have a go myself, but if you do then I'd love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found it, but that is probably better than what I did. It was very early on in my Photoshop years.

      Delete
    2. I'm still using Microsoft Paint, so glad it turned out as well as it did!

      Delete
  3. Sweet to see another post of my fave band. Man, I love this blog. Always something cool.

    -RoBurque

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to hear the 'White Album' show if possible. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete