Sunday, December 27, 2020

Nirvana - Curmudgeon (1994)

I was putting together a Nirvana rarities album the other month, based on a track listing that i'd found on a site that I've since lost, which was made up of a mixture of rare and unreleased songs, and even included a couple that I just couldn't find anywhere, call 'The Sea' and 'Journey'. (The site was in Spanish, but these are English titles that I just couldn't track down). When I'd finished and given it a listen I felt there were a few too many acoustic and slow songs on there, so that when a blaster like 'Curmudgeon' came on it blew your socks off. I therefore decided to scrap that album and make one that was just all the loud stuff that I loved. 'Curmudgeon' was the starting point, as that is a brilliant song, and so I wanted other tracks that were up to that standard to go with it. I tracked down most of them on bootleg compilations, and a few from the 3CD 'With The Lights Out' release, and ended up with an album of little heard songs that doesn't let up for a second. From their earliest radio sessions from 1987, to the demo of 'Dive' that helped to define the burgeoning grunge movement, and through demos, singles and b-sides, the one thing that these songs have in common is that they're all f**king LOUD.     



Track listing

01 Anorexorcist (radio performance 1987)
02 White Lace And Strange (radio performance 1987) 
03 Dive (demo 1988)
04 Mrs. Butterworth (rehearsal recording 1987)
05 If You Must (out-take 1988)
06 Even In His Youth (demo 1989)
07 Token Eastern Song (demo 1989)
08 Curmudgeon (b-side of 'Lithium' 1992)
09 Oh, The Guilt (split single with The Jesus Lizard 1992)
10 D-7 (John Peel session 1990)
11 Return Of The Rat (out-take 1992, later given to Greg Sage/Wipers tribute album)
12 You Know You're Right (home demo 1994)


1 comment: