Sunday, December 27, 2020

Bob Dylan - Down In The Flood (1971)

It seems I'm not the only one with fond memories of Album Fixer's site, and the good news is that I've managed to access some of the pages using the Cache option on Google, so I've been able to put together an updated 320 version of his take on Bob Dylan's 'Down In The Flood'.
The premise of this one was that 1971's 'Greatest Hits Vol. 2' wasn't really a greatest hits package at all, but a collection of songs recorded in 1971, along with some live versions of older songs. Dylan's idea might have been to release some older songs that hadn't appeared yet, alongside some new versions of older songs, and some that he'd only just written, but the record company weren't keen with what he offered and so we ended up with GHV2.
This version of the album contains a mixture of old songs, new songs and some live tracks, recorded from his surprise appearance at George Harrison's Concert For Bangladesh, playing new arrangements of his songs on just guitar and harmonica, and from the New Years Eve concerts where he joined The Band for a raucous run through of some of his hits. 
'Song For Woody' is a jam with George Harrison, 'George Jackson' was a single about the activist, who had just died, 'Tomorrow Is A Long Time' is an out-take from the 'New Morning' sessions, and 'If Not For You' is a rehearsal for the Bangladesh concert with George Harrison. The rest are rare and alternate versions of more well-known songs.



Track listing

01 When I Paint My Masterpiece
02 Watching the River Flow
03 Wallflower 
04 Down In The Flood 
05 Song To Woody 
06 You Ain't Goin' Nowhere 
07 Tomorrow Is A Long Time 
08 George Jackson 
09 Only A Hobo
10 I Shall Be Released
11 If Not for You 
12 A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall 
13 It Takes A Lot to Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry 
14 Blowin' In The Wind 
15 Mr. Tambourine Man
16 Just Like A Woman
17 Down In The Flood 
18 When I Paint My Masterpiece
19 Don't Ya Tell Henry
20 Like A Rolling Stone 

If Album Fixer didn't make a cover for his albums I sometimes use to make one and post it on his site. This was one of my first efforts with Microsoft Paint and I always thought it came out rather well. 

For anyone who had download CSNY's 'War Songs' I've just found a much better version of 'Soldier', so the link has now been updated.


No comments:

Post a Comment