Friday, January 8, 2021

Jerry Garcia - ...and on guitar (1974)

Jerry Garcia's musical career is inevitably closely intertwined with The Grateful Dead, but he also spent a lot of time in the recording studio helping out fellow musician friends in session work, often adding guitar, vocals, pedal steel, sometimes banjo and piano and even producing. Artists who sought his help included the likes of Jefferson Airplane (most notably 'Surrealistic Pillow', where he was listed as their 'spiritual advisor'), and where he also played uncredited guitar on 'Today', 'Plastic Fantastic Lover' and 'Comin' Back to Me'. He also added guitar to 'The Farm' from their 'Volunteers' album, as well as helping out Tom Fogerty, David Bromberg, Robert Hunter, Paul Pena, Peter Rowan, Warren Zevon, Country Joe McDonald, Pete Sears, Ken Nordine, Ornette Coleman, Bruce Hornsby, Bob Dylan, It's a Beautiful Day, and many more. He played pedal steel guitar for fellow-San Francisco musicians New Riders Of The Purple Sage from their initial dates in 1969 through to October 1971, when increased commitments with the Dead forced him to opt out of the group, but he does appear as a band member on their debut album 'New Riders Of The Purple Sage', and produced 'Home, Home On The Road'. He contributed pedal steel guitar to the enduring hit 'Teach Your Children' by Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young, and also played it on Brewer & Shipley's 1970 album 'Tarkio', and despite considering himself a novice on the pedal steel, he routinely ranked high in player polls. This album is just a snapshot of the many artists that he's appeared with, covering just the years 1969 to 1974, and yet it still had to be a double album. 



Track listing 

Disc One
01 The Farm (from 'Volunteers' by Jefferson Airplane 1969)
02 Oh Mommy (from 'Tarkio' by Brewer & Shipley 1970)
03 Teach Your Children (from 'Déjà vu' by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young 1970)
04 Starship (from 'Blows Against The Empire' by Paul Kantner/Jefferson Starship 1970)
05 Soul Fever (from 'Papa John Creach' by Papa John Creach 1971)
06 What Are Their Names (from 'If I Could Only Remember My Name' by David Crosby 1971)
07 Man In The Mirror (from 'Songs For Beginners' by Graham Nash 1971)
08 Change Partners (from 'Stephen Stills 2' by Stephen Stills 1971)
09 When I Was A Boy I Watched The Wolves (from 'Sunfighter' by Kantner/Slick
 1971)
10 Hickory Day (from 'Rowan Brothers' by Rowan Brothers 1972)
11 Sick And Tired (from 'Excalibur' by Tom Fogerty 1972)
12 Southbound Train (from 'Graham Nash - David Crosby' by Crosby & Nash 1972)

Disc Two
01 Looks Like Rain (from 'Ace' by Bob Weir 1972)
02 Deep, Wide And Frequent (from 'Rolling Thunder' by Mickey Hart 1972)
03 Venutian Lady (from 'New Train' by Paul Pena 1973)
04 Expressway (To Your Heart) (from 'Fire Up' by Merl Saunders 1973)
05 Walkin' (from 'Baron von Tollbooth & The Chrome Nun' by Kantner/Slick/Freiberg 1973)
06 Down In The Willow Garden (from 'Angel Clare' by Art Garfunkel 1973)
07 Tuscon, Arizona (from 'Be What You Want To' by Link Wray 1973)
08 Someone Else's Blues (from 'Wanted Dead Or Alive' by David Bromberg 1974)
09 Standing At Your Door (from 'Tales Of The Great Rum Runners' by Robert Hunter 1974)


19 comments:

  1. Oh man, after the fact I know but Garcia's contributions to the Paul Pena album New Train on pedal steel NEED to be included:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Train

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to cull a few tracks to keep the albums to around 45 minutes each, but I must admit that I'd missed both of the Paul Pena tracks that he played on, and as 'Venutian Lady' has a great solo on it, I've quickly updated the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, PJ.

    I love your blog and have been following you for a while, but I can't get Soulseek to work for love or money. I have a standard Windows laptop, and am relatively computer savvy, but any search just comes up blank.

    I'd love to get this Garcia collection but at this point I can only watch your blog from the outside looking in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huzzah! I downloaded the app from another source and now it works! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you download the app that worked, as that might help other people what are having the same issue that you did originally.

      Delete
    2. https://soulseek.en.softonic.com/download

      Delete
  5. Jerry Garcia on pedal steel?... who knew! (obviously, y'all knew). Great compilation pj. Thanks, Burt

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not find the download after:
    http://www.soulseekqt.net/news/node/1

    Search ‘Garcia aiwe’

    What have I missed, please? rjoyce1011@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi
    It is a pity, but sinceyou started to propose music items on soulseek only I never was able to upload any music items.
    I wish that in the future you will be back to the classis procedure to propose music and you will avoid soulseek that is a true nightmare.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would loved to have carried on as before, but now that I'm the radar of the record companies I don't want the blog to be deleted again, and this was the only way that I could think of to prevent that happening. I'm making some enquiries to see if there is a way to fix the issues that some people are having with Soulseek. I'll keep you updated.

      Delete
  8. Unfortunately the soulseek issue is happening for me, too -- I can access the site but a search turns up no results. Have tried with 2 different web browsers without success.

    Appreciate your efforts and thrilled to see your blog revived here, hoping the soulseek issue can be fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After multiple failures, I downloaded the app from here:

    https://soulseek.en.softonic.com/download

    and it finally worked. It's still not very intuitive and took me a while to figure out how to download / transfer the files, but at least they showed up in the search.

    It's an awkward solution at best, but I appreciate that you're committed to keeping the blog alive, as your collections are very creative and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, after all the side discussion I am finally listening to "disk 1" of this collection and it's tremendous! Flows like an official album, and the choices are stellar.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, I downloaded the Mac client and couldn't read the text with or without dark mode enabled. Then I got the latest beta build (2020.1.6) and can read the text, but searching for this doesn't yield anything. Any advice, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know much about MACs, so anyone have any suggestions?

      Delete
  12. I managed to get a version of soulseek for my old mac to load (See soulseek discussion page) but after finding steven wilson aiwe in the search, the album folder froze up. Will try another day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,I've downloaded disc two of Garcia ..And on guitar.Try as I might I can't download disc one.I've had no problems with Soulseek apart from this.Thanks for all of Your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added it to the 'help' folder, so try help aiwe .

      Delete