Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Soulseek update

I've now completed uploading all the albums from the site onto Soulseek, but if there are any missing then let me know as I could easily have missed some. How are people finding it as a way of accessing the music? I know a couple of people seem to be having trouble finding the albums, and Paul has mentioned that some artists have their name blocked in the searches, so a search for The Beatles, for instance, will bring no results, but 'abbey road' will. I've added 'aiwe' to all of the folders so that it only brings up my albums and you don't have to look through hundreds of others to find them, so if 'eric clapton aiwe' doesn't work, then try 'eric aiwe' or 'clapton aiwe', and if you still have no success then try an unusual word from a song title. The 101ers, for instance, gives no results, but searching 'motor aiwe' finds them. If anyone has trouble finding the album they want then leave a comment on the post, and I'll add the album to a special folder I've added called 'help aiwe', which should be easier to find as it won't be restricted. At the moment it has a Kate Bush and Fleetwood Mac album in it for the two visitors who are having issues. 
Hopefully you will soon get used to getting the music this way, and if it stops the blog being deleted again then it will all be worth it.

For anyone who is new to Soulseek, as I was a couple of weeks ago, here is a little tutorial which hopefully will help you find the albums. 

For anyone still having problems, Gummo couldn't access the files at first, and so downloaded what looks like an earlier version called SoulseekNS from here https://soulseek.en.softonic.com/download , and I've just tested it and it seems to work OK, even though it looks a bit clunky. If you can't get anything with QT then try this NS version.  

pj    

18 comments:

  1. pj, I have tried four different browsers MULTIPLE times and only received "no results" each time on all of your recent posts. Yours has been a blog that I check EVERY day. I am located in the U.S. southwest.

    -RoBurque

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing I can think of to make sure that your have downloaded SoulseekQT and not the old version of Soulseek, as I can't think of another reason why the searches bring up nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its perfect, soulseek is the way forward.Ive bookmarked your site so its much easier to find albums. Ive always been a keen collector of b sides and hard to get tracks so your site is perfect. I particulaly enjoyed youe family cat post and if you could look at a few other bands from that period, Adorable and The Mighty Lemon Drops being two good examples, id be eternaly grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I initially had trouble searching on Soulseek, but I found that I needed to keep the search simple and add "aiwe" at the end. After that I had no problem locating just what I needed. Thanks for all your hard work getting everything back up. MUCH appreciated. Burt

    ReplyDelete
  5. In too am having trouble. I can't find any of your files. Maybe I need a tutorial, but it looks simple enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you're back , I have no problems with Soulseek & have added you to my users list .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have found you on Soulseek as well. It might be easier for people to add albumsiwishexisted to their user list and browse your files to find what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I downloaded some things from you a week ago with no delay, before everyone here caught on to Soulseek (been there for 18+ years, since Audiogalaxy imploded in 2002).

    Today I queued your Hermits "London Look" and there's 565 users queued ahead of me(# for Free shown in Soulseek search results), & 7709 place for the 1st song after I selected "download folder". And of course you greatly increasing the # of parallel DL's will kill the DL speed for everyone and possibly screw up things for your internet connection in general. I wouldn't advise it.

    Will periodically check the queue to see how my place count drops and report back what the wait time will/might be. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still pretty new to Soulseek, so nut sure how the downloading works, but I was amazed that over 500 people had request that one album in just an hour, so I've checked a few other albums which I knew would not be being downloaded and they all had the number 468 in that column. Does that mean that the 565 that you saw was for all downloads of all albums? It still seems a huge number compared to the usual number that i used to have. I'll have to try to find out how it all works and if there's anything I can do to speed things up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've managed to find out where to view the downloads that are happening, and there were about 400, which was quite a surprise, but it's now down to 12 in just an hour so I think it's all going to be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for taking the time to re-load your albums! I tried to search the other day and could not find your profile. I think maybe you were offline?? I found it next day though, but could not download cover art on 4 albums. Maybe you are getting alot of users downloading on soulseek??
    (Btw: I think my user name is PavonesSurf and I've tried to make available some more obscure bands I wasn't finding on Soulseek, mostly garage/punk/new wave type bands.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems strange that the cover art wouldn't download, although I did see that on some downloads, where the music was OK but the cover was aborted. If that does happen just right-click and save it from the post, as it's the same size from there as in the album folder.

      Delete
    2. I think I've worked it out, as the covers that aborted seemed to be the few that I'd coloured and replaced in the album folders. I thought the search would still find it as the name was the same, but it doesn't, so I've re-shared those five artists and that should fix the problem.

      Delete
  12. For anyone who is unable to find the files on SoulseekQT, try downloading this earlier version called SoulseekNS from here https://soulseek.en.softonic.com/download
    . Although it looks a bit old-fashioned, if it works then what does it matter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soulseek is a no-go for me, as it is a P2P network, and since I also use my home computer for work (and often use my work computer for play), I cant have P2P software on my computers.So unfortunately, I will not have access to the downloads anymore. But thanks for all that you do. Great site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the number of downloads I'm seeing it looks like Soulseek is working for most people, but for and anyone like BBKron who can't use it for other reasons, or just can't get it to work at all, if you leave your email address here I'll send links directly to you for the albums you want. For your privacy I'll delete the message as soon as I make contact.

      Delete
  14. I've enjoyed your site since discovering it, but I have to let you know that after wasting two hours trying to figure out how to download from Soulseek, I've given up...hope for the best for you and your site...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you download the tutorial, as that might give some hints on how to set it up.

    ReplyDelete