Friday, October 22, 2021

The Velvet Underground - Psychedelic Sounds From The Gymnasium (1967)

I thought that I had all the Velvets albums that I'd ever need, having vinyl copies of all their official releases, and numerous bootlegs, including a couple of different reconstructions of the legendary lost fourth album, but when I saw this online I just had to have it, not only for the astonishingly superb sound quality for a 1967 recording, but mainly for the fact that it included two songs that have very rarely made an appearance of the numerous bootlegs out there, namely 'I'm Not A Young Man Anymore' and 'I Guess I'm Falling In Love'. Add in an incendiary take of 'Run Run Run' and an eighteen-minute 'Sister Ray', and this album captures a moment in time of the band in their very earliest incarnation, when they were still Andy Warhol's plaything. The first track to surface from the Gymnasium tape was 'Guess I’m Falling In Love' (supposedly listed as 'Fever In My Pocket' on the original tape box), which was broadcast on WPIX FM by John Cale on June 3, 1979. After playing this version he clearly states that it is from a tape he stumbled across, saying it's from 'Gymnasium, April 1967', and you can hear that this version is different from the one that appeared on the 'And So On' album. 'Booker T.' originally appeared on John Cale's 'Paris 'S’Eveille' CDEP in 1991 and was reissued (unfortunately with 8 seconds amputated at the beginning) on the 'Peel Slowly And See' box set, but the version here is complete. This show also apparently contains the first live performance of 'Sister Ray', at the time still unreleased, and of course the highlight is the never before released 'I’m Not A Young Man Anymore'. Although this was a live concert there is a distinct lack of audience noise between the songs, so I thought that I'd edit out the tuning up between the tracks, as it's almost like a 'live in the studio' recording anyway. If Nico was at this concert, we didn’t hear a peep from her (but I left her on the cover), and if anyone wants to hear the unedited version then let me know, but you're really not missing anything.



Track listing

01 I'm Not A Young Man Anymore 
02 Guess I'm Falling In Love 
03 I'm Waiting For The Man 
04 Run Run Run 
05 Sister Ray 
06 Booker T. 

4 comments:

  1. Nice. But is there a way you could tone down the colors on the cover? They're too intense, especially the blonde and red hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite like the cover - it looks like one of those old hand-tinted black & white postcards.

      Delete
    2. So do I, so I've sent Paul a toned-down copy for his album and I'll leave it as it is.

      Delete
  2. I think the cover is awesome - the music even more so. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete