Thursday, February 24, 2022

Steely Dan - The Lost Gaucho (1980) UPGRADE

Thanks to king0elizabeth for letting me know that a couple of  fans have attempted to improve the sound quality of  the band version of 'The Second Arrangement' from this album, and reddit user ZestyLemon571 has nailed it by mixing the two restored versions of the song together, while Youtuber Dan The Vault has made it available to the wider audience. It does mean the the lyrics from the first version have now replaced the ones on the band version, but to be honest I'd rather have the hugely improved sound quality. This prompted me to check to see if there was a better version of the other track that let down the album, and I've found a speed/pitch corrected version of 'I Can't Write Home About You' which has also removed much of the muddiness from the vocals, so an updated version of the whole album is now available for download.    

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! The restoration of The Second Arrangement should be credited to ZestyLemon571 on Reddit (https://old.reddit.com/r/SteelyDan/comments/okv561/my_version_of_the_second_arrangement_contains/).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gladly done. I'm just playing this again after far too long, and I'd forgotten just how astoundingly good these songs are for rejects.

      Delete
    2. I assume you're aware of the recent surfacing of version from Roger Nichols's cassette? There's a bunch of polished versions of it made by fans since then, but I haven't gone through them all yet to find the one I like. Maybe I've gotten too used to ZestyLemon571's restoration, but it's nice hearing the lyrics for the later version instead of "ciao buongiorno baby".

      Delete