Monday, July 18, 2022

Yandex files update

This is just a heads-up for people who download the music from the blog via the Yandex hosting site. As you may know, Yandex is based in Russia, and so I had to make a decision about whether to carry on using it once countries started imposing sanctions on the country, but as I'm committed to them by the fact that they host all my albums, and I can't really start all over again with another service, even if I could find one that worked, I stayed with them. However, my subscription expires tomorrow, and because of the sanctions I can't purchase another year's storage, and I really don't know what's going to happen when that runs out. There was mention of my storage being frozen after 44 days of inaction, but I do have another subscription which doesn't expire until December, so I'm hoping that this will keep the files live.  All we can do is wait and see what happens on Wednesday, and if the files get locked then there won't be much point in updating the download list every week. I'll post another update on Thursday, once I can see what's happened. 

pj

7 comments:

  1. soulseek is fine, you do not need yandex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had enough angry comments from people who can't get Soulseek to work to realise that I needed some sort of back-up, and Yandex worked perfectly. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PJ, I hope you are NOT refering to me when talking about angry people and soulseek. I do use soulseek often but I have no idea why SOMETIMES I cannot get to your files. It's why I ALWAYS ask politely if you can get them elsewhere. Yandex is fine with me. Personally I use mega which has a limit but works fine with me. Just know this: I appreciate your work and respect your choice of offering files. It's a free service, so who am I to get angry when I can't download? As long as you won't use nitrodownload I am perfectly happy with any form of download options :D All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I'm not referring to you - you've been here from the start - and I always enjoy your comments. There have been a couple, though, who hate Soulseek, whereas I think it's a brilliant service. I get that it must be frustrating when connection issues stop it form working while everyone else is raving about it, but I know that can happen which is why Yandex seemed a good idea - at the time. Who knew what would happen in the future.

      Delete
    2. I like soulseek too but I found sometimes it doesn't connect to people I know there. It probably has to do with ports that are open but I really don't know. Keep it rocking.

      Delete
  4. soulseek may be fine for some users, but I personally find it problematic and have been having connection issues there, so Yandex is a great solution for me, I hope it stays alive, but if not, I'm sure there will be other options. Anyway, thanks for all the hard work !

    ReplyDelete
  5. pj... Thank you for using a hosting site as well as Soulseek. For some reason, I have never been able to get Soulseek to work on my Mac. So until you started using Yandex, I had pretty much given up on the idea of being able to get any of the cool stuff you were posting. I was using your site more as an instruction manual, like AEC's "Albums Back From The Dead" blog.
    A Big thank you from the Mid-Pacific for all the hard work you put in and joy that you bring.

    ReplyDelete