Tuesday, September 5, 2023

George Harrison - Cloud Nine (Mike's Mix) (1987)

Time for another guest appearance from Mike Solof, with his own remix of a classic album.
It’s been a while since my last post…but I’m back with a vengeance! This time I got a hold of some combined multi-tracks from George’s brilliant comeback album from 1987 'Cloud Nine'. So using wonderful current technology with such funky names as Demucs V4, UVR and who could forget that fan favorite MDX KIM Vocs 2… I was able to reduce them down even more. So what started as something labelled backing tracks and lead vocals, became one track each of: vocals, backing vocals, bass, drums, synths, keyboards and saxophones. 
And then I went to work!
I wanted my remix of this album to accomplish a couple of things. I wanted to turn it into something leaning much more toward a rockin’ yet mellow acoustic set of songs. I wanted it to highlight George’s guitar playing and his incredible vocals and harmony vocals much more than on the original album. I also wanted it to be very different from the original album. And finally…I wanted it to be a beautiful listen…not heavy at all, just fun! I think I succeeded on all counts. PJ asked me what changes I made…but made that unfortunate request AFTER I 
was done remixing the whole thing…so I went back and re-listened to it again and I will now explain track by track the many differences between the released version and my remix:
01 Cloud Nine: I cut out a lot of tracks from this song. You’ll notice no drums and bass. I did that on most of my remixes. To me, it really clears out the sound and allows you to focus on so many details that were covering up. I reduced the sax’s to just a hint here and there and really tried to focus on George’s and Eric’s echoing guitars throughout. 
02 That’s What It Takes: I dug the vocal harmonies on this one so I really brought those to the fore. I removed all the drums again and left a muted bass line. And now you can really hear Clapton’s awesome guitar solo with crystal clarity. This was the only time in the entire album that I kinda added something that wasn’t originally there. During the fadeout I doubled up on the vocals because although George only did that one time, I loved it, so I copied this section and had him do it a couple of times at the very end. 
03 Fish On The Sand: I lowered the drums and bass a lot on this one but left them in because this one just sounded strange with them completely gone, and I left in and upped the driving guitars. I once again played up the backing and harmony vocals, and occasionally left out some of the main vocals so you could hear much better what was going on underneath. Ohh, and and I left in the descending synths that appear occasionally because they're fun. 
04 Just For Today: I left out a ton of things from this one and when I did, it just became this lovely harmony-laden track filled with George’s beautiful weeping guitars. Stunningly beautiful, and one of my favorite mixes on the album.
05 This Is Love: Drums are gone again which allows the focus to be totally on George’s vocals and Jeff Lynne’s soulful funky bass and synths.
06 When We Was Fab: I left in the strings and Gary Wright’s keyboards on this. No drums again. A mini Beatles reunion on this one with Ringo on backing vocals and George on sitar. Fun, Beatlesque vocals and feel throughout!
07 Devil’s Radio: Great Clapton guitar throughout on this along with some great vocals. And you guessed it… almost no drums and a very reduced bass presence on this one as well.
08 Someplace Else: A beautiful ballad showcasing Harrison’s stunning slide guitar work,
something he never got enough credit for. 
09 Wreck Of The Hesperus: Focused on Clapton’s guitar again. So good! Little bass and no drums… again.
10 Breathe Away. Removed a lot but not all…(see the break) of the foreign sounding atmospheric instruments which left mostly just the vocals, Strings and drums (yes, I left them in this time! LOL!) Some of George’s most beautifully dreamy lyrics of any album on this song: “as the morning light was painting whispers of a sigh… like an opalescent moon all alone in the sky of a foreign land.”
11 Got My Mind Set On You
The classic single…redone! No drums and very little sax completely changes the feel of the entire track. I made this a much more almost acoustic track. It still rocks…but in a very different way! The funky bass by Jeff Lynne is stellar!
12 Cheer Down: A bonus cut! My other favorite song written and (parts) recorded during the 'Cloud Nine' sessions… but left off the album. With no drums and reduced bass, this lets Harrison’s slide and lead guitars, and Lynne’s backing vocals, shine! 
Here’s the rest of the story from Wiki: The title of the song is attributed to Harrison's wife Olivia, who would tell her husband, "Okay, cheer down, big fellow" when he became too enthusiastic. Harrison first recorded a rhythm track for the song during the sessions for his 1987 album 'Cloud Nine' He subsequently finished the lyrics with assistance from Tom Petty. The following year, along with 'Run So Far' and 'That Kind of Woman', 'Cheer Down' was among the four compositions that Harrison offered to Eric Clapton for inclusion on the latter's album 'Journeyman'. Clapton instead decided to use it for the soundtrack to the film 'Lethal Weapon 2', which he had been commissioned to supply, but he persuaded Harrison to contribute his own recording for inclusion in the film. This one was also produced by Jeff Lynne..so it’s kind of a Wilbury track too! And it's all housed in an alternative cover featuring a more laid-back George, in keeping with the new feel of the album. 



Track listing 

01 Cloud Nine
02 That’s What It Takes
03 Fish On The Sand
04 Just For Today
05 This Is Love
06 When We Was Fab
07 Devil’s Radio
08 Someplace Else
09 Wreck Of The Hesperus
10 Breathe Away From Heaven
11 Got My Mind Set On You
12 Cheer Down

Mike has some more of his remixes all ready to go, so leave a comment and we can choose between 'Rubber Soul', 'All Things Must Pass', 'Ram', or 'Double Fantasy/Milk And Honey'.

22 comments:

  1. This looks good to me!

    As far as the next one... Double Fantasy/Milk & Honey. I tried to do a mix of this a long time ago. Thought of what I wanted to name it 'Double Milk & Fantasy Honey'. But it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @PuffinRandy ...what's your email? I'll send you a sneak peek... just for being nice enough to respond!! You get a Beatle!! And You Get A Beatle....

      Delete
    2. Others have tried and had the same issue with the title - 'Double Honey'? 'Milk Fantasy'? 'Fantasy Honey'?. So with Mike's permission I intend to title it 'Ambrosia', which is the fantasy honey of the Greek gods.

      Delete
    3. One more vote for 'Double Milk and Fantasy Honey'.

      Delete
    4. @Michael... Wow Thanks!! But that's not really necessary, I just adding my two cents worth. But if you insist it is billmerandy@hawaii.rr.com
      @ Walter... Thanks for the vote, but I really wasn't putting that forward as a name. Michael put this together it's his to name.
      I think his idea of 'Lactation #9 - A Double Milk Fantasy!' sounds excellent!

      Delete
    5. 'Lactation #9 - A Double Milk Fantasy' is a great idea as well!

      Delete
    6. Hey Mike! Thanks for sending those files! I tried several times to reply to the @gmail address, but for some reason it kept bouncing back to me. I look forward to giving them a good long listen. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. That would be my vote too!! (Probably because I just finished writing the PDF for it and sent it to PJ lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanna hear 'em all, but if I could only hear one, it would be Ram.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with the previous comment: all but preference is RAM. Thanks for all this ... wonderful and fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first thought was all of the above. In the end, DF / M&H would be the most intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I already have the Captain Acid remix of All Things Must Pass, but i'd love to hear what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His was pretty straightforward... Mine really plays with and rearranges, in a way, every track. A totally new mix from the ground up!

      Delete
  8. I picked the name: Lactation #9 - A Double Milk Fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds very interesting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BTW if you peek over at our friend paul's site and search my name Mike Solof... you'll find a few more interesting collections I've put together. Enjoy! https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike. I've listened to each collection you've posted on Paul's site and they're all fantastic. I was able to D/L Ambrosia with the link you provided here, as well. Is there a chance, pretty please, you could provide one for this also as I would rather not download Soulseek on my computer?? If not, I understand

      Delete
    2. Download the Mega file at the top right of the blog.

      Delete
    3. Thank you!! I wish I'd have reached out sooner

      Delete
  11. I vote in Rubber Soul.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rubber Soul, most definitely! Many thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete