Tuesday, April 23, 2024

The Beach Boys - SMiLE (1967) **UPGRADE**

I've listened to this album quite a bit since I posted it, more than any other version that I've ever downloaded, and it certainly has something about it which keeps drawing you back to it. In fact, it was the very reason that the False Memory Foam blog made a comeback after a six month hiatus, just to post the album, with a few judicious edits that they'd made. I though that they improved the flow, as most reviews had agreed that 'You're Welcome' should not have been included, whereas everyone has always thought that 'Good Vibrations' was intended to open side two, so I've updated my version to make those two changes, using the 2021 stereo remaster of 'Good Vibrations', which is generally agreed to be the best version. I've also made another slight edit which I entirely agreed with, and that is the removal of the 'You're Under Arrest' section from 'Heroes And Villains', which neither of us liked. Finally, they though that the exclusion of the track 'Cool, Cool Water' was a mistake, and so they grafted that on to the beginning of 'I Love To Say Dada', and I liked that, although not the slow build up, so I've edited it to start with the vocals on my updated track. One thing I didn't agree with was the change to the running order, as I'm now used to how this plays and I think it really works, so I've left that pretty much intact. With these slight edits I now have a version that I'm completely happy with, so if you want to try it was well then it's updated on Soulseek and Mega, with the original version also left up in case you want to try both. 



Track listing

01 Our Prayer
02 Heroes And Villains
03 I'm In Great Shape
04 Barnyard
05 Do You Like Worms
06 Cabinessence
07 The Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine
08 Wonderful
09 Good Vibrations
10 Fire/I Wanna Be Around 
11 Vega-Tables
12 Wind Chimes
13 Child Is Father Of The Man
14 Cool, Cool Water/I Love To Say Dada/In Blue Hawaii
15 Surf's Up

2 comments:

  1. For those who may be interested:

    https://falsememoryfoam.blogspot.com/2024/03/smile-ever-changing-moment-of-sublime.html

    The new cover may let you keep track of all the different versions happening out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very curious to hear yet another version... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete