Tuesday, August 4, 2026

King Sunny Ade & His African Beats - The Master Guitarist Vol. 6 (1972)

We're up to Volume 6 of the Master Guitarist series from King Sunny Ade & His African Beats, and although this album once again only has two tracks, rather than being a number of songs segued together, these are two eighteen-minute pieces. Note the change of name of the band for this album, and so the track titled 'Our New Sound' was obviously a statement of intent. As the new line-up included a number of his previous Green Spot colleagues, the band are in their usual fine form, and so this joyous music follows on seamlessly from the previous volumes. 



Track listing

01 Ogun
02 Our New Sound

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, very kind. I just found you are posting these gorgeous albums. I'm going to soulseek to pick them all up. However, albums I wish existed. I know that there used to be a version of (if I am right) Aura, uncut. Like the usual albums, one continuous track on each side. But all the euro/american versions are cut to form seperate track. That was easier for the market. I am sure there was a Nigerian version that was uncut. I cannot find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only find copies with the six individual tracks, but as I'll be posting it some months in the future I'll keep looking to see if I can find an original Nigerian copy.

      Delete
  2. Thanks!
    Just thought of something I haven't researched Have you ever seen Parliament or Funkadelic outtakes or alternate versions?

    ReplyDelete