Sunday, December 27, 2020

Bob Dylan & The Band - The Genuine Basement Tapes (1967)

I put this one together back in 2013, and so recent 'Bootleg Series' releases might have made it a bit redundant, but it was one of my very first efforts, so I've decided to post it anyway. My original notes are below.
I was listening to the excellent Radio 4 documentary on Bootlegs recently, and as I was listening to stories about Dylan's Great White Wonder I got to thinking if there was still a rip of it around anywhere so that I could hear it. Well, the short answer is no, there isn't. I found half of it, but the sound quality was atrocious, so I turned my attention to The Basement Tapes instead. Some investigation revealed that when they were officially released by CBS in 1975 they missed off a number of the best songs, so ever up for a challenge I decided to track them down. I managed to find all the missing tracks in pretty good sound quality, and with a little fading and patching, I don't think it came out too bad.
So what we have here are The Original Basement Tapes, running in the order of the original bootleg, but in the best sound quality available. I have to say, speaking as someone who likes Dylan but is not mad on him, that this is currently my favourite of his albums, just for the fact that him and The Band seem to having so much fun singing these songs.



Track listing

01 Odds And Ends
02 Nothing Was Delivered
03 Get Your Rocks Off
04 Clothes Line Saga
05 Apple Suckling Tree
06 Goin' To Acapulco
07 Tears Of Rage
08 Quinn The Eskimo
09 Open The Door, Homer
10 I'm Not There
11 Million Dollar Bash
12 Yea! Heavy And A Bottle Of Bread
13 Please, Mrs. Henry
14 Crash On The Levee (Down In The Flood)
15 Lo And Behold!
16 Tiny Montgomery
17 This Wheel's On Fire
18 You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
19 I Shall Be Released
20 Too Much Of Nothin'
21 Silent Weekend
22 Sign On The Cross


3 comments:

  1. I'd love to see your take on a post-SMiLE beach boys discography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest Beach Boys fan I know is Scott at Alternative Albums And More. Check out his site for a couple of dozen Beach Boys reconstructions.

      Delete
  2. I was positive I had a needle drop of Great White Wonder but when I looked it was Blind Boy Grunt which I believe is a bootleg collection of publishing demos released about the same time as GWW.

    ReplyDelete