Sunday, December 27, 2020

Derek And The Dominos - Devil Road (1971)

I'd heard that Eric Clapton and the band had gone into the studio to record a follow-up to the classic 'Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs', and so I set about trying to find anything that they'd laid down. I already have some unreleased tracks from the band, including some lengthy jam sessions, rather like Blind Faith did around the same time, but after a bit of hunting I found some tracks that I hadn't seen before, and some of them are outstanding - especially the 13 minute 'Devil Road' itself, featuring Renee Armand on vocals. I've added in Bobby Whitlock's 'Scenery Has Slowly Changed' to make a nice 44 minute album, which certainly lives up to the promise of that classic debut.



Track listing

01 Evil
02 One More Chance
03 High
04 Til I See You Again
05 Mean Old Frisco
06 Snake Lake Blues
07 Got To Get Better In A Little While
08 Scenery Has Slowly Changed
09 Devil Road



6 comments:

  1. I just posted about the Dylan Greatest Hits II. But I wanted to mention that on my new website Albums That Should Exist, I also posted my version of a second Derek and the Dominos album. Like you, I called it Devil Road. But, funnily enough, while you made the Dylan album a double ablum and I made it a single, I made the Dominos album a double while you made it a single. ;)

    Here's a link to that particular post:

    https://albumsthatshouldexist.wordpress.com/2018/04/19/derek-the-dominos-devil-road/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, can you re-post the link for this? The link doesn't come up for me.
    Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her name was Rene Armand and she did one very good overlooked LP for A&M in the early 70s. Wish I still had it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a few tracks from her that I found on Youtube. https://www8.zippyshare.com/v/mBLouat3/file.html

      Delete