Sunday, December 27, 2020

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Amazing Sounds (1967)

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band should need no introduction, suffice to say that they were one of the most innovative and ground-breaking bands of the 60's and 70's. But like all bands, they had to start somewhere, and when they first formed they made their living by playing clubs around the San Francisco area, with a set list comprising carefully picked covers sprinkled with a few original compositions. This albums captures some of those performances, alongside some early studio demo recordings from around 1966 and 1967, just before the release of the classic 'Safe As Milk' debut album. Some of these songs later turned up on the 'Grow Fins' box set, and are great quality recordings showing the emergence of the band's unique style even from their very earliest incarnation. 



Track listing

01 Obeah Man (Demo 1966)
02 Just Got Back From The City (Demo 1966)
03 I'm Glad (Demo 1966) 
04 Triple Combination (Demo 1966)
05 Here I Am I Always Am (Demo 1966)
06 Somebody In My Home (Live 1966)
07 Tupelo (Live 1966)
08 Evil Is Going On (Live 1966)
09 Old Folks Boogie (Live 1967)
10 Call On Me (Demo 1965 )
11 Yellow Brick Road (Demo 1967)
12 Plastic Factory (Demo 1967)
13 Diddy Wah Diddy (Single 1966)
14 Who Do You Think You're Fooling (b-side of 'Diddy Wah Diddy')
15 Moonchild (Single 1966)
16 Frying Pan (b-side of 'Moonchild')


You might also like



4 comments:

  1. Love your work on these compilations! I've assembled an alternative Beefheart album called Beef Zap which has the best highlights of the Beefheart Zappa compilations. I carefully sequenced it for the most dynamic experience. The only thing that bugs me is I'd like to cut the first 30 seconds of "Poofter" to cut out the unnecessary intro. Though these are technically lifted from Zappa albums, Beefheart's vocal/lyric contributions make this flow like a "lost Beefheart".

    Side A
    1) The Birth of Captain Beefheart (from Mystery Disc)
    2) Willie the Pimp (from Hot Rats)
    3) Sam with the Showing Scalp Flat Top (from Bongo Fury)
    4) Debra Kadabra (from Bongo Fury)
    5) Man with the Woman Head (from Bongo Fury)
    6) 200 Years Old (from Bongo Fury)

    SIDE B
    1) I'm a Band Leader (from Lost Episodes)
    2) Alley Cat (from Lost Episodes)
    3) Metal Man has Won his Wings (from Mystery Disc)
    4) Lost in a Whirlpool (from Lost Episodes)
    5) Tiger Roach (from Lost Episodes)
    6) I was a Teen Age Malt Shop (from Mystery Disc)
    7) Poofter's Froth Wyoming (from Bongo Fury)
    8) The Grand Wazoo (from Lost Episodes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This looks really good. I don't have 'Lost Episodes' or 'Mystery Disc' so a lot of this was new to me, but I've put it together and am listening to it now. I've edited 'Poofter's' and made a cover so if you don't mind I'd like to post it at some point. Cheers

      Delete
  2. Absolutely feel free to post this track list or any other config! I was surprised to find a whole album of juicy Beefheart / Zappa collaborations. Thanks for all you do -- great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very nice; thank you!

    ReplyDelete