Sunday, December 27, 2020

The Rutles - The Shite Album (2017)

Now that we've worked our way all the way back to the start of the band's career, I just need to mop up with a couple of albums from later on that should have appeared as the start of the series. At the time I didn't realise it was going to take off quite as well as it did, and so I was posting random albums in no particular order, so this is the classic 'The Shite Album' and being a double, it contains a wealth of great songs. I've had to make a few substitutions as usual, and so the track listing posted on the Rutles Wiki page is now missing 'Under My Skin', 'Protest Song', 'Monkey On My Back', 'The Blackest Of Blues', and 'Tubas In The Moonlight', as they've all appeared on previous posts, and I just didn't think 'Hard Times' was up to the quality of the other stuff on here, so I dropped that as well. I hope I've picked some suitable replacements, and I'm particularly pleased that I remembered Vivian Stansall's brilliant 'Labio Dental Fricative' / 'Paper-Round' single, arranged by Neil Innes, as it features guitar from Eric Clapton on both tracks, and so mirrors his contribution to 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' on the original album. 'Sugar Cube 1967' was suggested by TheLazenby, and I hadn't heard it before but it acts nicely as the 'Savoy Truffle' of this set. 'Evolution Number Ten' comes from the band's new 'The Wheat Album', but fits on here perfectly. There is a cover for this on the net, but I've made my own as I wanted to try to get the title to look as though it was embossed onto the sleeve.    



Track listing

Disc One

SIDE ONE
01 We've Arrived! (And To Prove It We're Here) 
02 Let's Be Natural 
03 Unfinished Words 
04 Mr. Eurovision Song Contest Man 
05 My Little Ukelele
06 Hey Mister!
07 Jollity Farm
08 Dream On
09 I Give Myself To You

SIDE TWO
10 Another Day
11 Bad Blood
12 Rutleution 2
13 Living In Hope
14 How's Your Father    
15 Labio Dental Fricative
16 Mother  


Disc Two

SIDE ONE
01 Sausages  
02 Short Blues  
03 Quiet Talks & Summer Walks 
04 Don't Know Why 
05 We Are Normal  
06 Highs And Lows 

SIDE TWO
07 Paper-Round
08 Tent
09 Sugar Cube 1967
10 11 Mustachioed Daughters
11 Godfrey Daniel
12 Evolution Number Ten
13 Scarlet Ribbons


PERFORMERS

Disc One

* The Rutles - 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 10, 12, 13
* Nel Innes - 4, 8, 9, 16
* Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band - 7, 11
* Patto - 14
* Vivian Stanshall/Neil Innes - 15

Disc Two

* The Rutles - 4, 12 
* The Flames - 6
* Neil Innes - 11
* Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band - 3, 5, 8, 10, 13 
* Patto - 1, 9
* Vivian Stanshall/Neil Innes - 7
* GRIMMS - 2


7 comments:

  1. Hahaha. The album title alone makes me laugh. I'm impressed you've found so many songs to expand the Rutles discography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely some touch-ups needed here.... Rutles Vinyls ended up redoing it without that massacred "remix" of We've Arrived (which its creator regretted making), and "Mr. Eurovision" is on a Neil album, so no need for the low quality version. (And yes, where IS "Living In Hope"?) And "My Little Ukelele", for that matter, since that's a parody of "Honey Pie".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about 'Living In Hope' as I thought that it had already been used elsewhere, but checking the other albums it hadn't, so no idea where that went. I was doing so much with this one that I must have deleted it by mistake, thinking it had already been used. For the rest, I guess I relied too much on the Youtube versions for the rest, and so I can replace 'We've Arrived' with the 'Archeology' version, unless there's a better on that anyone knows of (who did the re-mix, as I always thought it sounded a bit odd), and re-instate 'My Little Ukelele' instead of 'The Sound Of Music' (a bit too short) which was the original 'Honey Pie' by Rutles Vinyls, to get back to something like the original tracklisting.

      Delete
  3. Well you also said you used "Godfrey Daniel" in a previous post in the description but I couldn't find a previous post the song was on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What songs did you replace 'Under My Skin', 'Protest Song', 'Monkey On My Back', 'The Blackest Of Blues', and 'Tubas In The Moonlight' with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As those songs had already appeared on other albums, I replaced them, and 'The Sound Of Music', with 'My Little Ukelele', 'Labio Dental Fricative' (for 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' as it features Eric Clapton on guitar, 'Paper-Round', 'Sugar Cube 1967', '11 Mustachioed Daughters', and 'Evolution Number 10'.





      Delete