Sunday, December 27, 2020

Amy Winehouse - Procrastination (2011)

A couple of days ago I stumbled on an article from Rolling Stone magazine which discussed the 10 best unreleased songs by Amy Winehouse (see here https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/amy-winehouse-10-great-unreleased-songs-109169/). Never one to shirk from a challenge, I decided to track them all down and see if they really were as good as they said, and the simple answer is, yes they are. I've always rated 'Frank' as her best album, and so it was interesting to see that a lot of these songs are from the early part of her career, so I had high hopes that they would live up to my expectations. 'All My Loving' was recorded for the TV documentary 'Glastonbury Calling' in 2004, and although 'You Always Hurt The Ones You Love' has yet to surface as a completed song, we do have a record of Winehouse reciting the lyrics in the film 'Amy', so I've included that as a sort of poem with musical backing. 'Money (No More Jazz 'n' Blues)' dates from around 2001, and is the oldest song here, while 'When My Eyes' was recorded during the sessions for 'Frank' but left off the final track-list, and 'Long Day' was recorded just after the release of that album. The other tracks come from various points in her career, but hold up really well as a cohesive album, and I've added a demo and a couple of rare b-sides at the end to make for an album of a reasonable length. The picture that accompanied the article really captured her vulnerability, so I've used it for the cover.    



Track listing

01 Long Day
02 When My Eyes
03 Trilby
04 Procrastination
05 Alcoholic Logic
06 Detachment
07 Money (No More Jazz 'n' Blues)
08 Beat The Point To Death
09 All My Loving
10 You Always Hurt The Ones You Love (Poem)
11 Do Me Good (b-side of 'Rehab' 2006)
12 What It Is (demo)
13 'Round Midnight (b-side of 'Take The Box' 2004)


4 comments:

  1. Cheers pj..
    By the way if you get chance..(you may have seen it already but..) on youtube there is a video of Amy with Paul Weller (& Jools!) doing 'Don't go to strangers' .. it is mesmerising! It seems like (from her demeanor) that it's going to be a car crash but she pulls it back & is amazing.. spine tingling stuff...what a loss!
    Steven

    ReplyDelete