Sunday, December 27, 2020

Cockney Rebel - Another Journey (1983)

If you mention Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel to most people they'll probably quote 'Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)' as their favourite song, but it's never really been one of mine, as I'd loved the band from the time that I bought their 'The Psychomodo' album in 1975, and I rate singles such as 'Mr. Soft', 'Judy Teen' and 'Sebastian' much higher. I always felt that they'd taken the commercial dollar with 'Make Me Smile', and was worried that this was the start of a decline of a favourite band, but luckily with 'Timeless Flight' they turned it around and came back with their best album yet, including superb songs such as 'White, White Dove', 'Red Is A Mean, Mean Colour' and 'Black Or White'. Early singles often included exclusive b-sides, and their last couple were more or less stand-alone Harley releases, as the band had quietly broken up around 1977. This collection includes songs that deserve to be heard, as they are often as good as the a-sides, and even Harley's take on Mike Batt's 'Ballerina' is worth hearing, as is it's b-side 'Face To Face', which is so hard to find online that I had to rip my own vinyl copy for this post.



Track listing

01 Rock And Roll Parade (b-side of 'Sebastian' 1973)
02 Such A Dream (b-side of 'Psychomodo' 1974)
03 Judy Teen (single 1974) 
04 Spaced Out (b-side of 'Judy Teen')
05 Another Journey (b-side of 'Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)' 1975)
06 Throw Your Soul Down Here (b-side of 'White, White Dove' 1976)
07 Sidetrack I (b-side of 'Love Is A Prima Donna' 1976)
08 Lay Me Down (b-side of 'Here Comes The Sun' 1976)
09 I Can't Even Touch You (single 1982)
10 I Can Be Anyone (b-side of 'I Can't Even Touch You')
11 Ballerina (Prima Donna) (single 1983)
12 Face To Face (b-side of 'Ballerina')


9 comments:

  1. Hi me again.link seems to be dead! I'm from the uk & the link says 404 forbidden .. the yandex links work over here would you please create a new link.. cheers, Steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. RE-upped. I'm in the UK as well, which is why I had to start posting Yandex links when Zippyshare was blocked here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks..good to find something like your blog amongst all the brexit mayhem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7beZZS2VK0

    Hi PJ. Don't know if you've heard this track Waiting but it was the b side of roll The Dice ..Not a bad song?
    Steven



    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, pretty good track. I see it was from the time of his first solo album, so not sure if it belongs here, but people can listen from your link if they want to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi pj just discovered your wonderful music blog and just want to thank you for all your work you put into it as I know it is a labour of love and it is very much appreciated my friend.....stay safe and healthy....love and peace...Stu

    ReplyDelete
  7. This album doesnt seem to be on soulseek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost finished uploading all the albums, so try it now.

      Delete
  8. Its up, thankyou so much. Saw cockney rebel in 1976, been a fan ever since.

    ReplyDelete