Sunday, December 27, 2020

The Rutles - Live At The Rat Kellar 1962

Well, we've finally come to end of my posting of the complete Rutles discography, and having now used up just about every suitable song from The Rutles, The Flames, The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, Neil Innes, Timebox, Patto, Boxer, GRIMMS and Ollie Halsall, all I was left with from the various compilations of the band were a few live recordings and some rehearsals takes. I was going to call it a day, but then tried to think if there was way that I could use the live tracks, and had the idea of putting together a 'Star Club'-style live album. As the rehearsals were mostly the band live in the studio, it fitted together quite nicely, and with some fake audience noise added to them I had a reasonable live album. It's not perfect, as I had to use a few later period songs to flesh it out as there just weren't enough good quality recordings available of the 'early' stuff, but I tried to pick the rockier ones so that they blended in. 'Get Up And Go' is one such track, which I wanted to slot in as this take uses a different melody from the version we know and love. Despite containing fifteen songs, it's still a shortish album at just 36 minutes, but I hope it works as a snapshot of what the band sort of sounded like in '1962'.



Track listing

01 I Must Be In Love
02 With A Girl Like You
03 Ouch!
04 Another Day
05 Hold My Hand
06 It's Looking Good
07 Baby Let Me Be
08 Hey Mister!
09 Now She's Left You
10 Blue Suede Schubert
11 Goose Step Mama
12 Living In Hope
13 Get Up And Go
14 Plenty Of Time
15 Number One

Tracks 1-5 are various live recordings. Tracks 6-15 are rehearsal takes.


4 comments:

  1. When will the Past Master albums come?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how a 'Past Masters' would work, as the original was a compilation of non-album singles and rarities, and we've already used up all the available songs on their normal albums. Any ideas for a track listing?

      Delete
  2. Now you can do all the Rutles solo albums. :)

    ReplyDelete