Sunday, December 27, 2020

Pete Townshend - Meaty Petey Big & Bouncy (1972)

Pete Townshend was recording demos of his songs as early as 1965, and many of these versions of The Who's biggest hits have appeared on his various 'Scoop' sets, so I thought just for fun I'd recreate the band's 1972 greatest hits compilation as a Pete Townshend solo album. There were only three songs from the original album that we don't have demos for, so I've replaced them with three hit singles from the early 70's which still fit the time-frame of the original record, although as some of these versions were considerably longer than the band's take on them, the album now runs to just over 50 minutes. I've had to fade down 'I'm A Boy' as the tape just collapsed at the end, but the rest of the songs are Townshend's vision of them when he wrote them. I've updated the artwork, and was particularly pleased with the title. 

  

Track listing

01 The Kid's Are Alright
02 Happy Jack
03 I Can See For Miles
04 Pictures Of Lily
05 My Generation
06 The Seeker 
08 Pinball Wizard
08 Magic Bus
09 Substitute
10 I'm A Boy
11 Let's See Action
12 Join Together
13 Relay


4 comments:

  1. I think this one is my favorite so far. I prefer many of these versions over the official Who versions. The Seeker is one of my top Pete demos. Thanks as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Very good. Interesting that I Can See For Miles demo has a Beach Boys riff in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love these. Who wouldn't want to hear XTC demos, Paul Weller demos, Richard Thompson demos, insert your own name.

    ReplyDelete