Sunday, December 27, 2020

Pete Townshend - Quadrophenia (1973)

After I posted Pete Townshend's 'Pete's Next' album, Uncle Dan asked if it would be possible to do the same for 'The Who By Numbers'. I've hunted around and found that only a handful of demos have ever leaked out for that album, although in my investigations I did find that there were more out there than I first thought, because as well as the three volumes of 'Scoop', there's also a 5 CD bootleg with even more demos on it. Looking through them I found that it was actually possible to piece together a Townshend version of a couple of Who classics, so I'm starting with perhaps my favourite record of theirs, 'Quadrophenia'. In 2011 the album was re-issued as a Director's Cut with a host of extras, including all of Townshend's demos, and so I've used those as they were the best available quality. Not only are they great versions of the songs that we know and love, but more excitingly, there are an extra seven songs and two instrumentals on here which were eventually dropped from the released version. This means that even for fans like me who've played this record to death, this is well worth hearing to see how those additional songs fit into the narrative.   



Track listing

01 The Real Me
02 Quadrophenia
03 Cut My Hair
04 Get Out And Stay Out
05 Four Faces
06 We Close Tonight
07 You Came Back
08 Get Inside
09 Joker James
10 The Punk And The Godfather
11 I'm One
12 Dirty Jobs
13 Helpless Dancer
14 Is It in My Head?
15 Anymore
16 I've Had Enough
17 Interlude
18 Wizardry
19 Sea And Sand
20 Drowned
21 Is It Me?
22 Bell Boy
23 Doctor Jimmy
24 The Rock
25 Love Reign O'er Me


12 comments:

  1. Thanks as always. I think we have the same sources. I also could only find a few "Numbers" demos. I probably could have done this myself but it's nice to get another view of things and I do have a lazy side to me. As for this one I think I'm happy with my abbreviated "Long Live Rock" comp in the long run but I will give this a listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was particularly impressed with some of those shelved songs, although not exactly sure where 'Wizardry' would have fitted in, and so it does fill in some of the gaps in the first half of the album.

      Delete
    2. Aren't you aware of the super deluxe version of Quadrophenia? Wizardry is included, so why not follow that song order?

      Delete
  2. I have included it, and in the order suggested. All I was saying is that I couldn't see how it fitted into the narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I have bunches of versions of this album. It's my personal favorite! And it sounds like you have it...but if you don't, I have the 5 disc scoop box set if you need it.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have that, and if you do as well then you can probably work out what the next post will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am having trouble with the search part on Soulseek. I am typing in "Townshend aiwe" and "Pete Townshend aiwe" and I am not getting anything to pop up. Can you help me out? I am brand new to this so I am not sure I am doing this right

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like this one is blocked under his name, but pete aiwe brings them all up.

      Delete