Friday, February 19, 2021

The End - Son Of Lightning (1970)

As I mentioned in the last post from The End, after their 'Introspection' album was finally released 18 months after it was finished, the band did make a start on recording a follow-up, but despite laying down a number of tracks, the band members realised that they were headed in different musical directions, and so they abandoned the recordings and split up, with three members going on to form Tucky Buzzard, who performed in a harder rock style than The End. Luckily the songs that they had recorded up to that point weren't scrapped, and have now surfaced on the extensive retrospective from the band, and so we can hear what a proposed second album from the band would have sounded like. It's definitely a heavier sound than the psyche/pop of 'Introspection', or even my 'Today Tomorrow' collection, and so it's debatable whether fans of the band would have appreciated this new direction, but we can now decide for ourselves if one more album would have saved the group.


Track listing

01 Son Of Lightning 
 
02 Second Glance  
03 Mistress Bean  
04 For Eleanor  
05 So Free  
06 North Thames Gas Board  
07 Do Right Woman Do Right Man  
08 Turn On Waterstone  
09 Smartypants 
10 My Friend 

search end lightning aiwe


2 comments:

  1. I really like The End. I hope you don't mind if I post some of their stuff on my blog eventually that'll be pretty similar to your posts. Really all I can find is what's on that box set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that they were a great band, and so under-rated, so feel free to post whatever you like. We're just lucky that there was so much stuff hidden away in the vaults.

    ReplyDelete