Friday, August 30, 2024

Britney Spears - Abroad (2011)

'Abroad' is a fan-made compilation featuring demos and unreleased songs from Britney Spears, covering most of her career, from 2001's 'Britney' through to 2011's 'Femme Fatale'. The original track listing included a few tracks that I'd already used in my previous posts for 'Original Doll' and 'Whiteout', but I was able to substitute them with some leftovers from her 2003 album 'In The Zone', including one piece which was recorded with producer Ryan Leslie as an interlude for his debut mixtape 'The Talented Mr. Leslie'. The original 'It Feels Nice', which features Spears rapping over an infectious beat, was just over a minute long, but with some judicious editing I've stretched it to a full 2'24". It also features a ballad version of 'Gasoline', from 'Femme Fatale', which is significantly different to the released take, and which is definitely worth hearing. Despite the ten year timespan of these tracks, they hold up pretty well as an album, and they are a nice mix of pop, dance and ballads. 



Track listing

01 Dangerous 
02 Telephone 
03 Get It  
04 Rock Star 
05 Burning Up 
06 Mad Love 
07 Pleasure You (feat. Don Philip) 
08 Tell Me (Am I A Sinner) 
09 Everyday 
10 It Feels Nice 
11 When I Say So (feat. Wildchild) 
12 Gasoline (Ballad Version) 
13 Abroad

As a footnote, I was going to include one more 2003 outtake, but when I checked back on the site I found that I had already added 'When You Gon' Pull It' on 'Whiteout'. Not only that but I had also included another track called 'Pull Out' on the same album, and it wasn't until I was researching these track that I found that they were in fact the same song, but no-one seems to have noticed and let me know. I've therefore removed 'Pull It' from 'Whiteout' and replaced it with Spears' version of the Otis Reading classic 'I've Been Loving You Too Long', which was recorded for a tribute album and then scrapped. Updated versions of 'Whiteout' are on both Soulseek and Mega. 

5 comments:

  1. I can't find this one on Soulseek? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try 'abroad aiwe' again now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sadly still not there - very odd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! I just checked and it didn't slot into the folder when I moved it, so it's there now.

      Delete
  4. all sorted - many thanks

    ReplyDelete